Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I started my job yesterday. I shadowed another keeper yesterday as she went through everything with me. The morning consists of feeding and cleaning and brief observations. The afternoon consists of doing diets for the next morning, feeding, and closing procedures. It doesn't sound like a whole lot, but you are busy all day. We have a ton of animals in the African Pavilion. For a full list go to www.nczoo.org, click on "about the zoo", then click "animal finder", "search by exhibit", and choose African pavilion. I am working in the lower tunnel, which has most of the species, excluding colobus monkeys, patas monkeys, baboons, and gorillas. The rest are in my department. The meerkats are very fun to watch. I got to feed one by hand yesterday. The fennec foxes are the cutest things in the world. I suggest doing an internet search for one so you can see a picture. We have one named Sun, that has 3 legs. I think so far she is my favorite. Today I had to get a physical and lots of shots. Luckily I had tetanus and Hep. B, so I didn't have to get those, but I still needed a TB test, blood draw, rabies, and Hep. A. Four needles in my arms today. I am covered with cartoon bandaids. I only worked a half day today because of my appointment, then I have tomorrow off, then I'm on a 7 day stretch. Then my schedule will start to get normal.

No comments: