Monday, October 17, 2005

I may have said this before, but one of my favorite times at the zoo is in the morning when I'm opening up the stadium. The dolphins follow me around, trying to get my attention, and watch everything that I'm doing. It's hard to explain, but I love those moments.

I started to do dolphin encounters at the zoo. They are programs we have on weekends where people pay money and get to spend 20 minutes with the dolphins. Ten minutes is in ankle deep water where you get to learn about dolphin anatomy, feed them, touch them, do behaviors. The other ten minutes you get your picture with them doing what is called a pectoral fin shake. Then you touch, feed, and do behaviors. I am now one of the picture-person trainers. I did two this weekend and they both went really well. Before I was always the timer and just watched, so it's nice being able to actually do them now.

Before when I got my whistle, I could use it with the females in the back pools and with stationary behaviors with the boys during the shows. But when I would send my dolphin out on behaviors the other trainers would bridge for me. It's just common practice, so I can get the gist of it and stuff. Well, I can now bridge all my behaviors. Moving on up...

No comments: