Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Bad news...the calf died this morning. I just got a call from the lead keeper and she said that at 6 this morning she was staying at the surface and tail slapping. Then at 6:15 she died. It really sucks but this is common for dolphins (in wild and captivity) who haven't had many calfs. Kaylee's first one was successful although the grandma raised it and not her, and this calf was her second. This was also a good experience for Kaylee...she was being an excellent mother. They don't know what happened but they brought her to the neecropsy (sp?) lab to see if the doctors can figure it out. I'm just glad it didn't happen when there were zoo visitors present.

1 comment:

Joylynn Rasmussen said...

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that the calf died. I didn't know that was a common occurrence. How soon will Kylee probably wait before being pregnant again? Do they breed them purposely? I would imagine it's like losing a pet.